Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The scent of it

February 24th 2012.  I had woken up that morning with the intention of beautifying my life. I got dressed, got on a city bus and went to the mall. Picked up a new cd, new journal, a fashion magazine then took myself for lunch at the only restaurant in the mall. Had a martini along with it, gin dry three olives no ice shaken not stirred.  Then took myself across the street to the fabric store, bought a few meters of material for a quilt that never ended up getting made, and next door to the drug store for new perfume.  Only I ended up waiting.  Put the bottle of perfume on hold for the next day when there was to be a massive season clearance sale, then headed next door to the cinema.  When the movie was over, I took my large pop and popcorn and got on another city bus planning my day for the next day, scheduling in my mind what time I'd need to be up to get back for the sale. 
Then it happened.  Ten feet away from my door, black ice in the parking lot, and not one single lightbulb on the building's property.

I heard the sound of the crack in my knee as I hit the ground before I felt it. Pop spilled everywhere in a wet sticky, popcorn flying as my shopping went everywhere, my purse rolling.  I screamed, no one came.  One of the neighbours from the next building was just sitting there in his truck, the door wide open, staring at me.  He never moved to help, never asked if everything was okay.  I managed to reach my purse and get my cell phone.

The next day, all I could think about was the fact I missed out on the perfume sale.  That my plans to make myself feel better had been ruined because not only did I mess up my chances for starting over, but I was broken and crippled.   Again! 
I'd had my ankle broken years ago.  And it took me almost ten years to finally feel whole again. To walk without a cane, to be just a girl.

I never did get that new perfume.  I don't even remember what the name of it was. Just remember it smelled something like sandalwood and flowers.  Nothing too spicy, nothing sweet. 

All this came up just now because PartyGirl was in the hallway, spraying perfume at someone.  It was a really sticky sweet smell, like bubblegum and marshmellows.  I don't care for sweet perfumes.  Don't know how others can? Doesn't it give you headaches when it smells that sweet?

Scents cause us to react on so many levels.  From memories, to desires, to emotional states of mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment