Monday, May 26, 2014

Monday May 26th

I was on my way yesterday to mom's, and my cell rang. She asked me to pick her up a roast chicken from the deli. I doubled back to the grocery and did so, stopping off in the produce for some salad stuff myself. Storm was working. We talked for a few minutes, the topic getting around to my moving.

Storm-:"Very cool. So are you moving far?"

Me-:"Next neighbourhood over."

Storm-:"Well, if you need boxes...I can save them till after my shift just let me know what days you need to pick them up."

Me-:"That would be great thanks."

Storm-:"House? Just you or are you moving in with someone?"

Me-:"Apartment, downgrading from the place I am now, and just me."

He raised an eyebrow looking at me over his shoulder as he sorted the tomatoes. "So it's not a move because you're getting married or anything?"

Me-:"Uh no. No such luck."

He had the weirdest look then on his face as he turned and walked into the back staff area. Didn't say goodbye, just tuned and walked off. So I headed to the checkout, and one of the check out guys named Jon  no H, was working. I asked for the chicken to be double bagged in plastic before being put in the cloth one.

He put it in a plastic bag and just left it out.

Me-:"Uh, that smell is really..."

Jon-:"Oh I know it's all I'll be smelling now for the next hour. Making me hungry." he smiled wide at me like a kid.

Me-:"Not me. Picking it up for someone else. Vegetarian, that smell is making me sick." 

The lady standing behind me in line nodded. "I love their roast chicken but I'm with you, the smell of it gives me a headache till I can get it home and out of the box. It's the steam trapped in the container."

Jon-:"So I guess you won't be having any of the bbq burgers and hot dogs I'll be serving later for the charity when I get off my shift?" he leaned over laughing then turned to the lady working the check out behind him. "Have they set it up yet?"   She looked at him like he was nuts then shook her head and told him it was his turn to get the bbq out of storage and make sure all the signs were done.

Grabbing my bags, I left thinking, way to go with the cosmic joke there. A guy named Jon talking to me about his meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment