Thursday, March 14, 2013

Stuck on it

When I get onto a roll with my writing, the smallest noise can ruin my train of thought. This case, door.  It was my sister retuning my movie that she borrowed last week.

Me-:"I thought you worked till after 5pm?"

Sister-: "Doctor's appointment. New story?"  she gestured to the handwritten pages I still had in my hand.

Me-:"Yeah."

Sister-:"Huh. Who's it about?"

Me-:"It's about this guy who sees stuff, haven't decided if it's going to be a full on ghost story or what yet."

Sister-:"WHO? Not what, who is it about? The Celebrity or do you have someone new you like? Stupid" she grabbed my wrist bringing it up to her face so she could read the first few lines of the first page. My sister is about the only person on the planet who can read my handwriting. Sometimes, better then I can myself. "Is it someone new that you've met?"

When I say that I have a pattern with my writing, it's no secret.  I always base the physical part of the lead character on a guy I have a crush on.

Me-:"Just a wrestler. No not The Celebrity this time. I actually haven't used him in awhile."

Sister-:"Let's see then..."   I know she was trying to figure out what wrestler by the way I described the lead character. Which, I suppose as a writer if you are using someone real as a base for a character, the easier it is for the reader to picture them the better the writer you are.   "...6 foot 4, sandy-red hair, blue eyes... I have no clue.Wait hang on, the kids were watching wrestling Monday night, um um...what's his name, the one in the Pack, aahh, what's his name that one."  she started to laugh."Yeah that one. The one dressed all in black with the other two dressed all in black." she shook the few pages in my face. "I'm right aren't I?" I didn't say anything, my sister just continued to laugh as she kept shaking the pages making a rattling sound. I haven't seen her in a good mood in months. "Uh god. He's Mr. Scratchy, I bet. Yep."

Me-:"Don't tease."

Sister-:"I bet it is and he's been waiting for you to notice him."

Me-:"Were it that simple. So did B. like the movie? And what was your appointment for?"

She let out a deep sigh her mood changing again as she rolled her eyes. "My appointment was just for prescription refill but I had to wait almost two hours to get in. I don't even want to talk about B. right now, she's obsessed with that guy. That and she's on a massive cleaning binge which she only does when she's freaking out about something. Did you tell her that cobwebs on doors meant something about men?"

I'd only met B. a few times over the years and don't remember ever having a conversation with her beyond 'hi how's your day', but that doesn't mean I didn't say something omen-ish to her. 

Me-:"When a women sees cobwebs in her doorways it means her lover is cheating on her. I might have. Is that what she's doing? Checking for webs?"

Sister-:"Driving me nuts is what she's doing. I tell you sometimes having friends just isn't worth it."  she waved and started to turn to leave.

Me-:"Which is why I stopped trying all together."

No comments:

Post a Comment