Saturday, March 23, 2013

Three episodes of SATC later...

I was watching season one of Sex and the City, 90 minutes of pure fashionable cosmopolitan fueled nostalgia; when I got a message from one of the girls from an online book site I'm part of.  She was wondering what to do about a male friend who's been getting a bit too close.

I nearly gave myself a metalhead head banger headache from shaking my head in disbelief.  I literally did a double take, and wondered if her asking for my advice was a joke. Given the fact all my personal experience has been from trial and error, and I'm still struggling to make sense of men.

Nope, she was serious.  She's also a teenager, and though she seems to think her male friend is good looking, she doesn't see him that way.

Okay, right there, that sentence to me seemed out of place.  Maybe it's just me, but I've never viewed a male friend as being attractive.  To me, if they've hit the friend zone it's because they are just not appealing sexually.
She told me that she's been friends with this guy for the last few months, he sits behind her in math, and that he's cute but just not her type.  That all her other female friends think he's the greatest thing since the dawn of time but he leaves her cold. Except when he laughs. 

Hmmm.  I think the lady does protest too much. 

She went on to compare him to her favourite sports heroes, and the more she did the more of his qualities she seemed very aware of.  Then she asked me what I thought she should do?   Should she talk to him about it and let him know she wasn't into him, or should she pretend she has no clue that he's getting ready to ask her out to the dance next week, or should she just ignore him for the next few weeks and hope he asks someone else?

My answer was just to be careful what she wishes for, cause you never know you just might get it. She might not want this guy to fall for her now, but who knows what the next few years will bring? And by the list of physical qualities she was rattling off, I do think she's more into him then she is willing to admit. 

And I have to admit, sometimes it feels really great to not be the one lost in confusion over a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment