Monday, February 6, 2012

The science of romantic comedies

With Valentine's coming up next week, I have decided to add a few pages worth of romantic comedies to my Monster's Library project. This would mean that I need to research a stack of romantic comedies. Some of you readers might be scratching your head raising an eyebrow at me thinking that I do that already with the whole Sex and the City stuff.  And well, yes I guess I do.

I've always had this theory that you are what you watch.  Romantic stories included.  Most of the women I've known over the years have been fans of Romeo and Juliet.  I have not. I've always been a Hamlet girl myself.
Just like the fact most of those same women will have the movie Pretty Woman in their list of favourites. Not me, more of a You've Got Mail type.

Then again, anything that is even semi-related to Jane Austen is a good thing in my book, and You've Got Mail is a nice blend of both Pride and Prejudice and Northanger Abby.

The typical romantic comedy which is very different from just a romantic story, plays on the idea that good always wins in the end no matter what the odds.
A romantic story in general, doesn't always play that way. You usually tend to have more of a love and loss thing going on there. 

Okay, so then what does that say about us as a society that we need to have our romance as sweet as the little candy hearts we will be seeing come next week everywhere?  I could make the argument once again about modern fairy tales, but I've done that more then once before.

No comments:

Post a Comment