Monday, November 28, 2011

Oh No,Toto

Last night I decided to go out to the lobby of mom's building and try working on the stairs.  As the only thing keeping me from getting home right now is the fact I have a large flight of stairs at my place.  Me and crutches have never been a strong suit.
Beth, one of the ladies who lives in mom's building was coming in with her dog and spotted me.  After informing me how bad the snow was {which by the way as I look out of the window it looks like it barely covers the tip of a shoe} she asked me an odd question.   "What would I do if the man of my dreams came up to me right now?"

Me-:" I would offer him a bowl of cereal and maybe put on the Red Wings game"

Beth-:" But you didn't know it was the man of your dreams.  He shows up in your life and you don't even know at first that it's him. What would you do about it?"

Me-:"But I would know the man of my dreams."

Beth-:"But what would you do about it? Specially if you found out he was married and lived the next town over."

At this point the dog which was one of those purse sized dogs, started to bite at the little ugly doggy sweater she had him in.  I started to sort of giggle which might not have been the best thing to do.

Beth-:"What if you didn't know it was the man of your dreams until it was too late and you had missed your chance? Would you do anything? Since you didn't realize it when you were young enough to do something or would you wait around and see how things felt?"

The dog started to bite at her thumb at that point from where she was holding him.  And I was thinking oh-no-Toto-we're-not-in-what-if-my-life-anymore. 
Clearly something had happened to make Beth think about a lost love.  So this meant I wasn't the only broken thing at the bottom of the stairs.

She kept waiting for some answer that I just could not give her.  She mumbled something to the dog to get him to stop the biting and then just waited for a few seconds before asking me what the crutches were for.

Beth-:"Aw that's too bad. I've got to get in and feed him. But while you're here you should come over one night I've got a big flat screen we can watch Gone with the Wind.  I love that movie, and when I saw it at the store I had to buy it. And watch out for that new guy who moved in upstairs with the part in his hair.  He killed his wife he got out of prison and they put him here. Lock your mom's door make sure if you hear anything you call the cops right away.  Why they put the cameras in here."   she pointed to the secerty cameras that were in the lobby and hallways which have been there for over two years. 

By that time, I gave up on practicing the stairs cause my foot was swollen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment