Thursday, November 22, 2012

Friends or lovers?

I just finished watching a movie about a couple who start off as slightly disinterested pawns who end up realizing that they are perfect for each other.
Which, seems to be the main recipe needed for any decent romantic comedy.

I went from watching that, to reading an article on an online magazine about men and their secret love for plus size girls.

I've been on both ends of the extreme with my size -more then once, and have to say that what seemed to be true for the author of the article, isn't always true for the rest of us. 
The author commented on the fact that she's always the best friend, but she's also the one who the guys are hitting on constantly.

Must be nice.

This whole thing has got me thinking.  During the years I've been at or over the 200 pound mark, I've been the girl all my male friends spend their late night chat time with, the one they spend Sunday afternoons with watching wrestling, been the one they ask to help pick out stuff for their mom's for xmas. To the point many times their parents, my mom, and our mutual social group would ask if we were dating.

During my under 180 pound mark times, I've been the one calling my male friends asking what should I wear for the drinks with whomever I was having my heartbroken by at the time. And less often to be spending Sundays hanging out watching the martial arts movie fests. In fact, in my thinner times, my male friends seem to have no interest at all in hanging around.

So I'm confused.

I'm only useful if I'm over a size 18?  Yet at the same time, I'm viewed as less desirable because I'm not thin, therefore ugly.

Still confused.

It's like that episode of Sex and the City in the first season when Carrie and Mr. Big go to dinner in this shady place and bump into a male friend of Carrie's who's dating the fat girl that he is ashamed of, who ends up dumping him for his commitment issues. (season 1 episode 6 Secret Sex)

Life really does not get easier as you get older. Just more mind fields to discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment