Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Hopefully you'll get what you wanted

I went to the mall today with mom. Just before leaving the building, we bumped into Sophia's mom and her boyfriend.
I may add that she's dating a man younger then I am.  Yes folks, she's nearly 35 years older then he is.

Sophia's mom spotted us and came over with this grin on her face.  Which is about all that is left of her.  She had her stomach stapled few years ago and is a walking skeleton now.  Said she's down to about 95 pounds. Which for a woman who is nearly 6 feet tall, not the best thing.
The first thing out of her mouth was that Gilly (Sophia has two younger sisters) was finishing off her degree for medical lab work.  The next thing out of her mouth was that everyone else in the family were about to push off to Toronto.  The she tugged on her pants showing the belt she has to use, and talked about how she's still loosing weight from her surgery and that she was wearing a clothes from the junior miss sizes. Then informed us that her youngest daughter who's not even 19 yet has a second child who is a year old.

Not once did she ask how mom or me were doing.  It wasn't until she mentioned that they were currently living with the youngest daughter, that mom made a comment about me having been back and forth the last 8 months at her place, cause of my surgery.
Sophia's mom never even asked what my surgery was for.  Her boyfriend just stood there giggling rocking from side to side on his feet, his hands deep in the pockets of his sweatpants.

When I look at the two of them, I keep thinking of the old nursery rhyme about Jack Sprat... jack sprat could eat no fat his wife could eat no lean so between them both they licked the platter clean.... only he's the 300 pounder and she's a stick figure.

While all this was going on, the guy who runs the health food supplement store was pacing back and forth listening to us.  He was cute.  Had I been alone, I would have gone over there and tried talking to him.
I'm sure he was calculating how much product he could push on one of us given that mom, myself and Sophia's mom's boyfriend are all small hippos. 

I don't know what annoyed me more, the fact they never asked us about how we are given we haven't seen them in over a year, or the fact she was going on and on about the weight loss and making comments about her boyfriend's weight?
Cause I'll tell you, he sure didn't look like he was having the best self esteem moment.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment