Wednesday, October 5, 2011

What's taking so long?

I was at my mother's getting supper when my aunt called from out of town.  This would be my mom's sister.
Less then two minutes into the conversation my mother started to hackle like a crazy person and held the phone from her ear pointing towards me.  My aunt wanted to say something to me.

Aunt E.S.-: "Why haven't you found yourself a man yet?"

Me-: "You come here and find me one. Nothing here but single dads."

Aunt E.S.- :"So? Long as he's rich what does it matter?"

Me-: "Besides, I like Irish guys, none of that here." 

My aunt went on for a few moments berating me for not being married, pointing out that all my younger cousins and sister are. Then threw in "you're loosing time getting too old."

My mistake was making the comment about my aunt having been married 3 times herself, and that I didn't want to rush into the same mistake her and a few other of the female family members have made by marrying the first guy who remembered my name.

Didn't go over very well. 

And this is why none of the marriages in my family other then my grandparents has ever lasted, everyone has the attitude that you need to marry a wealth guy. 
My grandparents married without money, and during the time they did, there was no hope of money. 

Maybe I am crazy to want a guy who I know will stick around when the chips are down and who knows I will stick around even if we're totally penniless.

No comments:

Post a Comment