Thursday, June 28, 2012

What I've learned so far

That's a bad title, because, I'm not sure I have learned much.

I was thinking about the movie You've Got Mail,  ever since I heard about the death of Nora Ephron earlier this week. It's always been one of my favourite films by her.


It's no secret that someone like me would adore a movie about two lovers who find each other online and share a desire for books.  Cliched, but no secret.

I also have a thing about films done in the heart of Manhattan.  Annie Hall, Melinda and MelindaSex and the City, Mrs Parker and the Vicious Circle   just to name a few.

I'm going to compare You've Got Mail with Beauty and the Beast.  Think about it for a second and just go with me here.  The classic story of Beauty and the Beast deals with trust and loyalty, and falling in love with someone for who you know they are; not for what they look like or can get you. 
It's a theme that runs through the story in You've Got Mail. 

Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks find that element in each other without ever seeing the other person.  And when they do, there is that heated tension that brings out a new level of flirting between them.  Even though as the viewer, you are in on the joke, you're not suppose to be which makes it all that much more delicious when the characters realize what is happening.

Now, I've never seen the stage play or even the 1940's version of the movie so I can not compare.
But, it's obvious that this version of the story, given it was released in 1998/1999, it was way ahead of it's time.  You can also say it's a throwback to when we had no other way to communicate other then letters. 
And if anything, I'm a big defender of love letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment