Sunday, June 24, 2012

Post-it June 24

Ever notice how something seeps into your subconscious, only to pop up in ways you'd never think?
I read the book The Wanders   when I was in high school.  I still have a beat up copy that I had gotten from a second hand store for $1.50, somewhere in my apartment.  All these years later, an image from that novel popped into my head.
Popped into my brain, Mr. Scratchy, while I was thinking about something completely different.  I don't know if you've ever read it?
I remember it not making sense. I actually found it difficult to read, but then again, I was 16 myself at that time. 
But what always struck me about that novel, and the movie for that matter, was the sense of family.  Or more put, the sense of a fractured family.  The desire to be part of something stronger, larger, safer then just oneself.
It's a theme that I use all the time in my own writing.  That's not even what got me thinking about that novel today.  I was thinking about the movie the Outsiders
Which is about loyalty and honor.  Or so I've always taken.
Anyway Mr. Scratchy, I just thought I would share that with you over coffee this morning.  Hope your day is a great one.

No comments:

Post a Comment