Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Internet insecurities

In season 2 episode 15 of Sex and the City,  called "Freak Show"   Carrie starts dating a new guy who seems to be too perfect and starts looking for hidden secret freaky behavour.  In the end, she has to admit that it was her own insecurities that made her the freak in the relationship.

I was thinking about this today after seeing the commercial for it.  That got me thinking about insecurities and how society has become one big web of jagged emotions.

The internet has opened up so many ways for people to get together and meet whom might have never been introduced other wise.  This is both good and bad.
It's also opened up chances for people to become sneaky, jealous and insecure.   The fact that nearly everyone now has some sort of online persona, be it a blog like this, or a youtube or a Facebook or Twitter or Myspace etc, it also means everyone has a chance to stalk or be stalked by someone.

I know myself, after one particular break up back nearly five years ago, I gave up my Myspace and my Flicker accounts simply because they were heavily connected to his.  I didn't want anything that would allow me to see random updates from him, or that would make it too tempting to be checking in on his profile five hundred times a day.
I saved myself a ton of heartache but it was also sort of an extreme coward's way out.
About two and a half years ago, after thinking I was finally over him, I spotted him on a dating site.  And I don't have to tell you that his profile was littered by comments from very young, beautiful women.
I've never felt so frumpy and un-girly as I did staring at the photos of the women who were commenting on how hot he was.

While the internet has made meeting people much easier, has it made accepting ourselves worse?

On a night like this I just have to wonder, what messages are we sending to ourselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment