Saturday, September 15, 2012

Commitment

Two things have me thinking about that word today.  Two very different situations.

First, I was watching the movie Bel Ami.   About the guy who seduces his way into proper society during the 1800's.
The story is about a guy who can not commit to a relationship. However, he has committed himself to making his mark in society, by the women he seduces and ruins.  It's such a twisted thought really. 
It's also a very common one. It's the type of man too many of us fall victim to. The rake as they were classed as in the 1800's. 
The people and things that we commit ourselves to says more about us then some of the actions we take.

Second,  my sister was over earlier and she commented about my Monster's Library project.  She was watching me add some stuff to a wish list in order to get a handle on the project, and said that when she first heard me talking about it last x-mas, she didn't give me a full month before I would quit. And here I am, nearly a full year into the project.

My reply was that was the pot calling the kettle black.  As my sister has never stuck with anything that she's done in the past.  She snarled cause she knew I was right and changed the subject. 

I'm really looking forward to the second half of this project in the new year. I think I might have unlocked an old passion that I should never have buried.

Commitment.
Usually when we hear the word, we think about relationships and how it connects us to other people. But how often when we hear the word do we think about the commitment we make to ourselves and the connections to our own self?
And no matter what, can we have one without the other?  If we're not committed to our own selves and our own passions, are we really able to commit to someone else fully?

No comments:

Post a Comment