Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell

I'm not going to review this book.  I'm only going to talk about it like I did with my sister.  Which, is odd given my sister and I don't really talk much and she has not read the book.  But, today; we were both at mom's and I had the book with me.  She picked it up and asked how it was.  This after telling me about the book she's reading right now (The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas)
I told her about how the book had me on an emotional roller coaster, how it's gotten me thinking about my own time in high school and past relationships and past betrayals.  We shared a moment where we each had an "yeah I hated that friend/boyfriend of yours back then, they were a total douchbag." 

I also confessed to my sister the rest of what this volume in the Sex and the City world brought up for me, my fears on being a writer.
I was shocked to hear my sister's point of view on this. And let me just say, for anyone who doesn't know my history with my sister, we are not close. She is not the supportive best friend that most sisters are.  In the eyes of my sister (who is younger then I am by 8 years) I can not do a f*cking thing right. In her eyes, my writing aspiration is a joke. But for some crazy reason, she was sympathetic, understanding and supportive.  It's a moment I will keep in my mind for the rest of my life, as I know it will almost never happen again.

This is something I've been struggling with a lot in the last few weeks.  The Carrie Diaries has just made me sit down and really face this fear in the last 24 hours. I had a full blown meltdown yesterday because of the subplot of the book.  It just hit me way too easily.
It got to the point I wrote a very long blog post elsewhere on the internet and chickened out of actually posting it. 

For anyone who hasn't read this yet,  it's a prequel to the whole Sex and the City world.  I've heard people say they loved it, and I've heard people say they hated it.  Me, I loved it. As hard as it was at times to face, it's one of those books that I know I needed to read.
This one volume, is being geared to the teen market, but I don't really think it belongs to just the teen section in the bookstore.  I think this is a book everyone needs to read if they've ever been in a relationship where things went horribly wrong, or if they ever wanted to be a writer.  So basically, half the world should read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment