Sunday, August 26, 2012

What can we learn from Snow White?


I'm watching Once Upon A Time  right now,  and the scene that was just on had Snow and Charming in their "real world " lives, bumping into each other at the one time when they were not looking for each other.

I've seen this happen a million times.  Someone or something popping up in your life when you're busy thinking or doing other stuff. 

I do like the way they reversed the plot point in this series, having Charming in the coma needing to be woken, and not Snow White in the glass coffin.

In the fairy tale, Snow White faces death more then once. In fact, it's got one of the highest death rates for fables.
But, Snow White never sits around wondering very much in the fairy tale about a prince.  She is content to hang around the house cleaning, and looking after her friends/adoptive family.   (I could rant about how that feeds the fears of how a woman is only good for being a maid or mother but that's not the point I want to make right now)

She keeps going with her life, not bothering to daydream about a man. Maybe she was smarter then the rest of us who model ourselves after other fictional female characters... then again, maybe she was more a Samantha then a Charlotte then anyone knows... getting slightly off topic.

More then a few times, you've heard me say over the years that I was shocked dumb by the fact I either bumped into an ex boyfriend, or spotted something about one online.  Always, when I was blissfully doing something else in my life that was taking all my attention. (like being injured, doing something website stuff, thinking of wrestlers etc) You've also heard me say that when you are meant to be with someone, you can't avoid them.

It's been proven, that when two people are destined to be together, they will not be able to keep from bumping into each other.   And with the internet, it makes it even more likely.

So to try to make this make sense in written form (cause it made more sense in my brain before I started typing) Snow White can teach us to have faith in ourselves more then some of the other fairy tale damsels in distress. She doesn't count on a godmother or pixies to get her out of trouble, she just puts it all out of her mind and keeps busy. (yeah this seems less of a punch now that it's written)

No comments:

Post a Comment