Wednesday, July 6, 2011

What we learned from Laura

The first year I was in college, was shortly after the tv show and movie of Twin Peaks had been on air and at the cinema.
There was a girl in my course at the college who was a fan of the show to the point of being a devoted disciple right down to her Laura Plamer necklace and her Audrey Horne saddle shoes. 
The two years that I knew her, I thought her just an extreme fan.{cause Sir we all have our Addictions} As time went on, I would learn that her extreme fandome went a bit deeper.

In the movie Twin Peaks Fire Walk with Me  we learn that Laura is not all she was pretending to be.  In the end, the movie takes us down a rabbit hole that is laced with drugs, prostitution, and incest.

The Laura-Wannabe, had a different guy every other night, and was always worried she'd gotten an STD.  We're talking the very early 1990's here too, when being cautious while being casual, was not always practiced. She also strived to be the queen of our social sceen. In every way possible. Prom Queen by day, prostitute by night.

I honestly, can not tell you what happened to her after college. What I can tell you is that during the two years we were in school, I witnessed her acting out in order to have control.  She never ate because she was afraid of not being thin enough, and took the comments of her dad about how she would never make it if she didn't fit a certain blonde barbie mold way too much to heart.

In the end of the Twin Peaks mythology, Laura Palmer never makes it out alive. The message I got from her storyline was always to keep faith in yourself no matter how low life the rest of the world treats you.
What I witnessed with the girl from college was giving in and becoming the cliche.

I was watching a few episodes of the show this afternoon, and started thinking about that time in my life. How being a teenager, you think you have it all figured out and sometimes create your own mysery; and sometimes, mysery is thrown at you with full force. 
Sometimes we grow up fast, and other times, do we ever grow up?

I was also thinking "damn, gotta love movies/shows from the 80s/90s when actors who are 27 played characters who were 17"

No comments:

Post a Comment