Thursday, February 20, 2014

Supper time 20th Feb

Doorbell rang about an hour ago. My cousin Walsh was standing there trying to relight his cigarette as a large half melted droplet of snow fell from the roof, smacking him in the face. It was funny, I laughed.

Walsh-:"You aren't at auntie's? I went over thinking you were there."

Me-:"Came home the other day. Mom's doctor gave her the all clear so..." 

He had to toss the cigarette and grumbled because he didn't have any more. "What ya been doing?" he clunked up the stairs on purpose, half trying to get the snow and slush off his shoes, half to see if the neighbours would open their doors to see what was going on.  No one else was home in the building thank god.

Me-:"Not much. Hanging out on this fashion site actually."   Walsh looked at me and started laughing. "Shut up! I've been trying to get some sort of creative something going, this writer's block is driving me up a wall."

Walsh-:"Not saying a word."  I showed him the site, again he just looked at me laughing.

Me-:"I've had a ton of 'likes' and stuff for my little fashion snapshot thingies. It's nice to have..."

Walsh-:"huh. Okay. You're way too excited for this thing."

Me-:"...to have people actually liking my stuff." I pointed to a few I've done, the ones with the most 'likes' and a few I'm really happy about how they turned out.  He just continued to giggle.

Walsh-:"You did a wrestling one? One track mind is all I'm saying."

Me-:"You say that like it's news or something? What did you want anyways?"

He let out a sound that was half deep sigh, half giggle. "Nothing. Kids are at a friend's, wife is at work late tonight, so had some time to kill. Not enough time to go home before I had to be back this end of town to get the kids again, just hanging around this end of town, my mom is out so just..."

Me-:"Didn't have anywhere to go?"

Walsh-:"Pretty much."  he was already fidgeting from lack of nicotine. "And you can't tell me that your boys don't like your stuff. They read you." he stood back up checking his pockets for some hint of cigarettes, and found one crumpled looking patch.

Me-:"Yeah but they never tell me they like my writing. I like the fact on this fashion site thingie that people let me know they like my stuff. Good feeling."

Walsh-:"You're playing fashion editor, not like you're designing the stuff from scratch."

Me-:"You like killing my buzz don't you?"

He nodded then shook his head no.  "I know I'm an ass. Sorry. I just don't understand what it is with clothes? My wife's niece wants to be a model, my older sister has tried to be a model, now she's got Daffiny signed up for it, Mavis has been talking non-stop lately about that stupid fashion show they are having for Easter over at her school...now you're at it."  he ripped up the patch throwing it in the trash. "I need a smoke." Walsh started to head towards the door again, then turned closed his eyes and let out a deep breath. "My sister's ex has been hounding her for visitation of her daughter."

Me-:"Daffiny's a teenager she should be allowed to make her own mind up."

Walsh-:"No, my other sister,  L. Her ex. He suddenly showed up out of the blue the other week. Wife thinks we should get a restraining order since they are living with us and all."

This is what he really wanted to talk about. "If you think he's trouble then go with your gut, otherwise, what's a few visits if you feel it's safe?"

He leaned against the wall as he thought about it. "He's not violent, just a total drunk asshole. L. wouldn't be in half the mess she's in if it wasn't for him." he let out another sound that reminded me of a cat hissing as he opened the door. "Okay, I'm going to go get a pack of cigarettes then pick something up for dinner so that I don't have to cook before getting the kids again. Which should give you more then enough time to blog about it all before I get home with them."  he grinned at me suddenly. "There, now your wrestlers have something juicy to read, there you go, I gave you something. I want all the credit." he walked down the stairs and was leaning on the front door of the building. "Don't over think it when it comes to Mr. Scratchy."

Me-:"What's that got to do with anything?" 

He shrugged. "Just changing the topic."   And with that he grabbed his cell phone, checked his messages and left.  Seriously, I'm not the only weird one in this family, I just wear it better.


No comments:

Post a Comment