Monday, August 15, 2011

Are we in a cold war?

My doorbell rang yesterday and when I went to go see who it was, I was shocked.  No it wasn't some hot handy man or some stranded wrestler who might have lost his way or even a door to door religious person,  but The SmugMarried Gal. 

I was shocked because she doesn't live in this city anymore, hasn't for nearly 15 years.  Add to it I hadn't heard from her in almost two years. 

What the hell was she doing standing on my doorstep with her kids sleeping in the car?  

I asked if she wanted to come in but I could tell she didn't even want to touch the door of our building so she just used the excuse that the kids were in the car.   Good choice I thought because I really didn't want her to come hence me standing five feet from the door and not hugging her. I only said it cause you're suppose to.
My eyes kept drifting to her stomach and I kept wanting to ask if she was pregnant again or just hadn't gotten into shape since the kids?  

I didn't say a word just wondered what the hell she was doing here, on my doorstep?  Seems she's in town for a couple of weeks visiting her dad.  Lovely.  Then she wanted to know why I never called her since she's been here since last week. 

Me-: "I didn't even know you were here"   True I had no idea. I also was under the assumption that we were no longer friends given I hadn't heard from her in almost two years.

The SmugMarried Gal -:"I sent your mom a facebook message saying I was coming to town last week" 

What she fails to understand is my mother is not me thank god, and mother still has facebook messages from six months ago she's yet to read, so the message never got passed on.  

I nodded making a bit of a sorry face while she continued.

TSMG-:"Well, I don't have your number so I thought I would find out why you hadn't called me yet. Now you give me a call this week. I'm leaving on Friday."  

And that was it.  She turned, let the door close and was gone. 


And all I could think was besides how f**ked up was that?   Was about the one episode of SATC when the girls end up going to a baby shower and get treated like the enemy.  {The Baby Shower  episode 10 from season 1 - also the one of only 3 episodes in the whole series that doesn't seem to have a question of the week}
The other thing I was thinking was since when has a facebook message become the rsvp list of the year?  Don't things like that normally get backed up with a phone call or something?  Okay so I've gotten a new number in the last few years but my mother hasn't.  It used to be common routine for situations like that to call the parents when one was in town unable to get the supposed friend, just in case you know. 

The last time her and I did talk, it broke down to a lecture from her telling me how being a mom would be the best thing for me and how she had been thinking that we'd have our kids at the same time because we've known each other since we were 13; pointing out how I was the only one in her social group not yet a mom.
It was pretty much a challenge of join the baby boom or get off my planet.  

I'm debating if I should just forget the visit and not bother to call or wait till Thursday night last minute?


No comments:

Post a Comment