Monday, August 8, 2011

Modern day rules

Some of the ladies from my mother's church were over for a visit.   Mom had me running to and from the bakery getting goodies for the occasion.

The topic that they seemed to be most engrossed in, is the fact the minister was asked to preform a wedding for a couple who have already been living together for the last few years and have a baby.
The little group were clicking their tongues and making little noises but the minister herself kept waving her hand as if to dismiss it saying "but that's how those modern ones are these days."  

Mother just sat there with this look on her face sort of like she'd bitten into something sour and the shade of a red I've only seen on muppets. 

After about a half hour mom out of nowhere goes "well, my youngest she came to me and said 'I've something to tell you that you're not going to like but I'm moving in with my man'. She knows I don't approve of such things it's the devil moving in."  

Here's me, nearly dropped the kettle when I heard this.  Yes I am very aware my mother is living in the stone age on certain things, but she's also not let her morals keep her from showering my brother in law with more attention then a storm cloud gives a lighting bolt.  Equally elevating my sister to some sort of goddess just because she's got that ring on her finger. 

Ironically my sister and I have actually pointed out to each other the way our family holds status among married vs unmarried women.   It's degrading to say the lest.

No comments:

Post a Comment