Saturday, April 19, 2014

Tears and chocolate eggs

It's the anniversary of my grandmother's death, which made it a really rough day for mom. The buzzer rang a while ago, it was Mavis. Walsh had taken her and his kids to the Easter egg hunt at the mall.  Mavis ran in, gave my mom a big hug and handed her a card and one small chocolate egg.

Mavis-:"I found forty!" she held up her hands flashing ten four times. "And that one was the only pink one, all the others were blue and gold, so I thought I'd give you that one pink one." she marched to the kitchen and got herself a glass of water, turning to me and telling me to get off the sofa so they could sit down. Then seemed to change her mind, and asked my mom very politely if she could have some tea?

Mom-:"You don't drink tea."

Mavis-:"Yes I do! I have tea all the time when we go to the cafe, and when I go to my friend Kayla's because her mom has a whole shelf of different teas that she gets in the mail, and now I drink tea. But only not the green kind cause I don't like that kind."

I got up and started to make them their tea, Mavis right behind me, telling me which mugs they wanted to use and how many of them were having sugar and how many were having milk and looking for plates that they could use for saucers. 
Mom asked them how their day went and what else they had done today, when Walsh's oldest commented that she had entered a contest to have lunch with some hockey player. Walsh grunted as he then checked his phone for a text, which there was none.

Walsh-:"And now she's got me checking every ten minutes to see if she won. Cause they notify you by text eh?"

Oldest kid-:"And when I win, I'm going to have a steak and lobster."

Me-:"So are you more interested in meeting the hockey player or just going to a fancy restaurant?"

Oldest kid-:"Uh...meeting the hockey player!" she blushed pulling her hair down over her face giggling. "Wouldn't you?"

Mom-:"She'd would if it was a wrestler."

I nodded to that one as I poured their tea, placing it on the biggest serving tray mom had that normally gets used for turkey, along with an extra cup for the milk so that Mavis could serve everyone.

Mavis-:"I know which one too!" she started to hand everyone their spoon and a napkin. "You would want to win a lunch with the one from the three that dressed all in black right? The one that we were watching that day before when I was here, not the one I said I liked his hair cause I said only I could like him, but the other one." she smiled wide as she began to ask everyone if they wanted milk? 

I shook my head telling her she was wrong. Mavis looked at me like I'd created the biggest puzzle on the planet. "I think, I'd like to have lunch with Dimmer. Well, maybe more like coffee."

Mavis's mouth dropped open, as she tried to get everyone laughing. Then she stopped, made a face as if she was thinking about something, and opened her mouth wide again. "Oh, I know him!" she started to dance up and down in place. "He's the one from before on the computer who was being silly and looking around at the wall behind him right? I'm right right?" she started to flick her hair out of her face as she sat down then with her tea trying not to spill it everywhere. "If you were to win coffee with him, can I come?"

Walsh was laughing to the point he was snorting and his face was red. "That's your fault."

Me-:"What did I do?"

Walsh-:"You let her watch wrestling to begin with."

Me-:"I wasn't the one who started talking about winning stuff, your daughter was. How'd I get in trouble? I'm not the one who's entering contests."

He took a sip of his tea. "I'm actually surprised you said Dimmer and not Mad Hatter or Rebel without a Cause."  

I shrugged. "Seriously, given how funny Dimmer's character is on some of those old promos, if he's even half that funny in real life, he's the type of guy I'd like to hang out with."

Oldest kid-:"Well, when I have my lunch with the hockey player, then I'm going to hang out with him at lest once a week."

My mom scoffed, making a noise, then told the kid she was being ridiculous. "You're not going to win anything."

Oldest kid-:"I will win! I entered five times."

Mom shook her head making a face telling her again that she didn't stand a chance, and to stop being foolish.  It was all the kid could do not to cry, she sort of sunk down in her chair, combing her hair over her eyes with her hand.  That's been my mother's attitude on everything for as long as I have been alive.

Walsh-:"Well, if you don't win this time, there will always be another contest."  I agreed with him, knowing just how the kid was feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment