Wednesday, April 2, 2014

When you're strange

"Dude you sound sad and pathetic."  my cousin commented. He had come over to watch the wrestling he'd asked me to tape on Monday.

Me-:"Why thank you. I try."

Walsh-:"The question is what's going on?"

Me-:"Vague that up for me."

He stole the remote control, fast forwarding through the commercials. "Uh...you're not acting like you."

Me-:"Meaning what?" I handed him a cup of coffee.

Walsh-:"What part of that sentence did you not understand? You, are, not, acting, like yourself. You're acting all...strange. Well, strange for you. So, what's up?"

Me-:"What, you've never had a bad time of things?"

Walsh-:"Um, yeah all the time. Any of those cabbage rolls left?"

Me-:"They're vegetarian."

He nodded, hitting play on the dvr. "You getting the ppv on Sunday?"

Me-:"Thinking about it. Why?"

He shrugged. "Your rant the other day made it seem like you weren't. So you are?"

Me-:"As I said, thinking about it."

Walsh-:"Don't think too hard, could hurt yourself." he finished watching the show and got up to leave. "Read the latest part on the fairy tale. What was up with that? You make yourself sound so..." he made like he was going to strangle me. "That's why you're single. You know that right? If you see yourself like that, how is anyone else going to see you as any other way?" he got his cigarettes out of his pocket as he headed out the door. "I caught it, so you know when your boys read it, they'll catch it too. Makes you look really bad man."

Me-:"Well, yeah guess it does. But you sort of missed the point."

Walsh-:"Which was?"

Me-:"The bathroom scene. The characters can't get past their egos. They keep getting separated but there's that bond that drags them back to each other. It's their weakness. Actually, their weakness is each other."

He just stared at me, a cigarette hanging out of his mouth unlit. "Ah I see. You've really got to get over your self esteem issues, or you'll never get a date again. Ever."

Me-:"God, you sound like your step-mom."

Walsh-:"Cause I'm right." and with that, he left.


No comments:

Post a Comment