Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Now what?

"Why do you think he was disappointed?"  Cheryl asked after I had filled her in on my conversation with my cousin.

Me-:"It's got nothing to do with Walsh, it sure as hell has nothing to do with me. He's lost. This whole thing with his sister has him floundering. He's been the rock in the family for years, and then his younger sister you know, she's been in and out of rehab a dozen times in the last few years, she was in hospital few months ago from an overdose, she's got liver failure and needs a transplant. Walsh and his wife are looking after her and her daughter. Her kid's like 7 or 8 years old,  and add to it that she's been his best friend his whole life, he's needing something to distract him.  I'm not stupid, Walsh and I haven't been close since we were teenagers. He's hanging out with me lately because he needs something to take his mind off of the real world."

Cheryl-:"So what then? You think he's disappointed because he feels helpless?"

Me-:"You nailed it. I think that he feels helpless. I'm a very silly woman, never denied that fact. I think you need to be when you're any kind of artist. But, his interest in helping me find out who my mystery wrestler is, is distraction. I mean, he's got a family of his own, he's got work, his friends. But when you even mention his sister you can see it in his body language, see it in his eyes even before he tells you he doesn't want to talk about it that it's really weighing on him. My cousin is in a lot of pain. His way of dealing is denying."

Cheryl-:"So you threw it in his face, with your disapproval of his idea of who it might be? Don't you think that was a bit of a mistake?  If he's needing something to distract him, if you're aware that he needs something to keep his mind off of the bad stuff, shouldn't you give him this? Take his advice even if it is with a really big grain of salt or spoon of sugar or whatever that metaphor is?"

She had a point. I hadn't really thought about it from his point of view before. About Walsh needing something not so heavy to hold onto.

Cheryl-:"Have you thought that this could be why he's pushing you so much lately to follow your dreams? Maybe he just doesn't want to see you waste yourself like his sister has?"

Me-:"Never thought of it like that. You make everything seem so sensible. How do you do it?"

Cheryl-:"Gift. I guess I can just see it from all points of view. Speaking of men, have you gotten off your high horse yet?"

Me-:"No. I don't see a solution to my romanticless life right now."

We chatted a few minutes more, about nothing serious, until she had to go back to work.  But all this has got me thinking about where I really do fit in the big picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment