Thursday, April 11, 2013

A real date you know

"I used to be 5 '8, then after my car accident my doctor told me I was actually 5 '6, because according to him, I lost some height with my back injury.  I was measuring a wall for a picture frame, and I noticed that I'm taller then I've been told, I am still closer to the 5 '8 mark. Last few years I've been less then happy with myself, thinking I was shrinking or something because of my injuries, and turns out, I had no worries."

Cheryl-:"Sometimes I wonder if the doctors' even know what the hell they are talking about you know?"     I was chatting a bit ago with Cheryl, one of the girls from the book site fan group, wanting to know how it went with her Berger?  "We're going out tomorrow night. Should be interesting, as this will be the first real date we've had."

Me-:"And in your mind a real date is what? Dinner, a movie, what?"

Cheryl-:"Drinks."

Me-:"Hang on, didn't you say to me the other day that you two went for drinks after work? So how is this different?"

Cheryl-:"This is at night. That makes it an official date. God girl, when was the last time you were on a date?"

Me-:"You mean when the guy actually bothered to show up and not stand me up?  Years."

Cheryl-:"When was the last time you were asked out? Stood up or not?"

Me-:"Same thing.  I just haven't been dating. I got fed up after the last couple of guys, and swore I wouldn't date again until the right guy came along. You also forget, I spent last year, like the full year recovering from my knee injury. There are still things I'm having troubles with because of it."

Cheryl-:"So what happens if you never fully recover? Are you going to become a nun?"

Me-:"Christ I hope not. No pun intended." 

I wasn't sure if I could explain to her that I'm just starting to be able to look in the mirror and see a full human again. That for the longest time all I saw when I looked at my reflection was the scars and broken body parts as just that, a series of parts. I have a 7 inch scar that runs from my thigh down the front of my leg over my knee and half way down my shin. Half of which is still not faded. The day I saw my reflection in the grocery store freezer and felt like Jabba the Hut, that was the first time since this injury I saw me as a complete person again. Okay, all I could focus on was the weight I'd gained during the last year,but still. Which, by the by, I've started to loose.

Cheryl-:"So what you're saying is that you've given up? You really shouldn't let this get you down, or in your way. I've seen plenty of people with far worse injuries then you have great relationships. People in wheelchairs, with amputations. You've still got a lot of years a head of you."

Me-:"Ironically, one of the physio therapists last summer told me the same sort of thing. Honestly, it really doesn't make me feel any better."

Cheryl-:"You have to start dating again. You are not going to meet the right guy sitting in your apartment. Or any guy for that matter."

I debated if I should mention Pizza Dude or not? I ended up telling her about the whole thing, how my cousin Walsh bet me Johnathan would ask me out.  That was a mistake telling her. She just kept on telling me that, that was proof it's time to stop waiting and just jump in.  
I don't know, as much as I want to find a new relationship, I think I've been alone too long. Safer to just stick to liking my wrestlers and ponder over Mr. Scratchy.  At lest with crushing on famous guys, I can't get my heart broken. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment