Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The big escape

Doorbell rang, and when I went to see who it was, it was a middle aged woman with dark hair. She rang the wrong doorbell, she was looking for PartyGirl.

I let her into the building, and came back upstairs to my apartment. Then few minutes later, I heard people going up and down the stairs dragging stuff. This went on for about fifteen minutes.
Then, the sound of someone angry running down the stairs, the front door of the building having slammed, and screaming.

PartyGirl's husband had come home from work. He'd come home to find out she was leaving.
I think we're all thinking by now, good for her.

Only, he wasn't going to let her go. The fight they had, was the worst in months. And it happened in the stair well. I heard the guy across the hall open his door to see what was going on, and the husband turned on him, shoving him into the door.

I hid.  I stood frozen in my hallway just behind my locked door.   This is not a man I want to be seen by. Trust me.

When we hear about abusive situations, it's so easy for us on the outside of it to keep saying, "why do they stay with them then? Why not just leave?"   After hearing the fights, the whole situation, just hearing it for the last few months, I understand why a lot don't get out.
They just can't. The abuser is just too much, too violent, too controlling. Too god damned scary!


No comments:

Post a Comment