Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Crush it

You ever have any of those "I told you so" moments when you find yourself either giving someone advice that others have given you, or when others throw you own advice back at you?

It's one of those moments.

The one girl from the other week who was talking about her crush, was talking about a new one. And the first words out of her mouth were "he's so out of my league".

Gee, where oh where have I heard that before? Oh right, myself about every guy I have ever liked. I found myself telling her what so many people have told me over the decades, "don't think that, thinking like that will make you hate yourself and you'll always have low self esteem. Remember at the end of the day, he's just a man."

Ironic, isn't it? 

About a dozen others were throwing advice at her, all forgetting just how young she is. Then, we found out the guy is in his 30's.   She's a teenager.  I swear you could cut the silence with a butcher knife.
How on earth do you keep a teenager from doing just what they want when their hormones are all over the place?  I'm not really sure you can.  Top it all off, if the guy is a fixture in her life on a regular basis, how do you keep him from doing something?
We're talking about a crush that could end up with legal ramifications.

Having a crush can be the best and worst thing any woman can go through. (yes I know guys crush too)  You have that rush of butterflies every time you talk to them, or when you know you're going to be around them, you think about them all the time, to the point you don't eat or sleep. And since they can go either way, expanding into something real or fading away into nothingness, that layer of the unknown adds to the thrill.

This situation is one of those serious double edged swords. You don't want to see someone get hurt physically, mentally or worse. But at the same time, you don't want to see them end up feeling like they are dirt and never going for what they want in life either.

I wish this topic had been a lighter one, as crushes should always be good for you. But, in this case, I see nothing good coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment