Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Pizza Dude continued

Went over to mother's for the weekend because I've managed to worm my way into  getting the big pay-per-view. My aunt was there for the afternoon visiting. This would be Walsh's mom, my uncle's first wife. Walsh showed up with his niece and one of her friends, to pick up his mom, and when I mentioned the pay-per-view, he decided to stick around for awhile.
The girls are both fifteen and were at first bored with hanging around my mother's.

Mom decided to order dinner. Right away, Walsh's niece, Connie, came to full attention and asked if we could order from this one pizza place.  Which is where we always order from.

Pizza arrives, and Connie screams that she'll answer the door.  Her friend was a half step behind her, giggling.  The door opens, and standing there is the same pizza delivery guy from the other day, Johnathan.

Connie-:" Hi. I'll take it. Hi."  she was blushing and I noticed she tucked her hair behind her ear.

He looked at me, then at the rest of the family all scrunched into the tiny apartment and then checked the last name on the delivery slip.

Johnathan-:"Did you move in the last few days?"

Me-:"Nope. Just visiting everyone."   He stood there for a few seconds longer then needed.

Johnathan-:"You getting the wrestling in a few hours?"

Me-:"Isn't everybody?"  the sentence was out of my mouth before my brain caught up with me.

Johnathan-:"I might order the replay, have to work tonight. Who you cheering for?"

Me-:"the Pack."

Walsh mumbled something then elbowed me. "She's itching to see them, they're her guys. Specially the Mad Hatter and the Rebel without a Cause."

If my cousin wasn't thirty pounds heavier then me, I would have killed him just then. Walsh put his shoes on, grabbing his jacket telling me he was going out for a smoke and asked if I wanted to join him. Translation, get your ass outside so we can talk about everyone in the apartment without them knowing. Walsh's sister was his best friend and it's really clear that he's missing the way things used to be, because he's acting lately with me the way he used to act with her. If she ever actually gets her life back together and they patch things up, I'm going to be on my own again.
 
We got outside just as Johnathan was pulling out of the parking lot.  Walsh dug his cigarettes out of his pocket, red faced from laughing, while I was spotted by G-Babbs walking her dog.  I ended up chatting with her for a few minutes while Walsh just stood there.

Walsh-:"That's the guy? ------'s cousin?"   I had given him the run down the other night when he'd stopped by with the dvd and the youtube video.  "You know what he thought just now right?"

Me-:"Oh whatever."  It was my turn to blush like a beet.

Walsh-:"I bet you five bucks the next time you see him, he asks you out."

Me-:"Oh come off it. He's like what twenty-three, tops."

Walsh-:"Doesn't matter. He obviously knows how old you are. When he asked if you'd dated what's his face back in high school, he was checking to make sure you hadn't f***ed him. Cause he wants to ask you out. Five bucks."

Me-:"This is one time you're going to loose.  You're on. Besides, there might not even be a next time. He's a delivery guy, who knows who will deliver the food next time?" I was feeling anxious.

Walsh-:"What's wrong with you?"

Me-:"I want to work on the novel but I can't while I'm here. It's like having withdrawals or something.  Barely get five minutes to do a damned blog post, mom is always looking over my shoulder when I write. Literally."
He shook his head at me rolling his eyes. We stood there for another few minutes while he finished his cigarette, then headed back in before all the pizza was gone.

Walsh-:"Is this what we're in for with the girls once they get that age? Totally boy crazy?" He was meaning his own daughters.

Me-:"Yes. She'll grow out of it."

Walsh-:"You still haven't."  he laughed again at me.

Me-:"I write cheesy romance novels being boy crazy is a prerequisite."  The second I opened the apartment door, all I heard was Connie's voice as she talked about how great the pizza was, and how fast it had been delivered. Then around a mouthful of food, she asked me how I know Johnathan?  "I order a lot of pizza."

Connie-:"I like bet he's the best delivery guy there."  she was just giddy over him.

All I could think was, great another me in the making.

No comments:

Post a Comment