Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Coffee, crushes and the J word

I couldn't sleep, got up and was trying to work some on the novel.  Got about three sentences done when I noticed a message pop up from Cheryl.  I haven't had a chance to chat with her in a few weeks.  She was telling me about how she went out with some of her friends on the weekend, and met this guy at a Yoga retreat.

This I wanted to hear about, so I messaged her back.  Dominic, 6'1, green eyes, caramel skin, dark hair. 

Me-:"That's it? That's all you're giving me on this?"

Cheryl-:"We didn't really talk much."

Me-:"Nice!"

Cheryl-:"No, I mean, we didn't really talk much at the retreat, anyone. Part of it was held in silence."

Okay and this is why I would never be able to do one of those types of things, I like talking, need to talk even when I'm just talking to the wall working on a piece of the novel.

Me-:"So...what happened?"

Cheryl-:"I don't remember. How crazy is that? And it wasn't like we were drinking or getting high or anything, I just don't remember much. This guy had me nervous. I haven't been nervous since I was in high school."

And another one bites the dust.

Me-:"So, you going to see him again?"

Cheryl-:"He's in a relationship so I don't know what's going to happen? I just know, when we met, all I could think was that I had seen him before. We ate together every meal.  Am I sounding corny right now?"

Me-:"Trust me hon, nothing you could ever say would sound corny to me."

We chatted for a few minutes while she got ready for work, it was clear she was in deep crush mode on this guy.  I miss that rush. That feeling when you look into a man's eyes and just feel that intensity and find yourself hanging off his every word, and he makes you feel like you're the only one in the room.

Cheryl-:"What about you? Any progress?"

Way to crash my crushing on the idea of a fresh crush.

Me-:"None."

Cheryl-:"What about the kid from the site? Or that other one you were talking to? What was his name? The surfer."

Me-:"Surfer? When was there a surfer?"  my mind was blank on this one. Cheryl swore up and down I told her about a surfer that I had met one night on a chat thread. I had to literally go to the social site and run down the list of guys on my friend's list to try to figure out whom she was meaning. Then I saw who she was meaning, Male Friend #2.  Right, he lives in California.

I wish I hadn't done that. I noticed he updated his profile. He no longer was using his twitter handle for his profile name, he was using his real name.  John.  This was who my cousin Walsh had told me yesterday he didn't trust.  The same guy who the teenage chick I sometimes used to talk to on the site was madly in heat for, the one she stopped talking to me over when she saw I had accepted his friend's request.

The cosmic joke continues. I told Cheryl about the whole thing with guys named Johnathan, and she loved it. First thing out of her mouth was that I'm meant to be with a guy named Johnathan.
Dude seriously?  Mr. Scratchy...please be a Patrick.


No comments:

Post a Comment